Australian Prime Ministers Centre
The Australian Prime Ministers Centre opened in June 2007 as the first stage in the Museum of Australian Democracy. It includes a library, an exhibition, facts about Australia’s prime ministers and a research program. The Centre supports research into the history, origins and traditions of Australian democracy, with a particular focus on Australian prime ministers.
Aims and objectives
The Australian Prime Ministers Centre aims to raise awareness of Australia’s prime ministers and to provide a national focus for research and scholarship in the field of Australian prime ministerial history. It also works collaboratively with other institutions which hold original prime ministerial records to support and improve access to this material.
The main objectives of the Australian Prime Ministers Centre are to:
- provide an access point for prime ministers’ official and personal papers held in other collecting institutions
- encourage the deposit of personal papers in relevant collecting institutions
- support access to material held by other collecting institutions
- provide a focus for research and scholarship on Australian parliamentary history
- raise awareness of the lives and achievements of former prime ministers.